REFLEXOLOGY LYMPH DRAINAGE (RLD)

reflexology lymph drainageReflexology is wonderfully healing non invasive therapy, it can help the body to ‘detox’ and reduce swelling by stimulating the Lymphatic System. Here, our in house Reflexology Specialist, Alex, explains this targeted treatment.

Reflexology Lymph Drainage (RLD) is an award winning reflexology technique which focuses on stimulating the lymphatic reflexes on the feet; it is a very gentle treatment and the aim is to cause an effect on the lymphatic system in the body. It is a unique sequence that has been researched and developed by Sally Kay BSc (Hons), whilst working in Cancer Care but her protocol has also been found effective in treating clients suffering with problems such as lymphoedema, plus many more (for more information, see www.reflexologylymphdrainage.co.uk) I am lucky enough to have trained with Sally and I have found that RLD has added a whole new dimension to my work…

It has now been recognised to help with autoimmune diseases such as Fibromyalgia, M.E., eczema, polmyalgia, arthritis amongst others, and to help ailments such as migraines, digestive issues and so much more. From another angle it was previously thought that the lymphatic system was not present in the brain but fairly research suggests otherwise. There is so much still to learn about it but this discovery has implications for our understanding of neurological conditions, which have an immune component such as conditions like Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and even thyroid diseases.

The lymphatic system is part of the circulatory system in the body and serves the very  important function of detoxification and fighting infection. It also helps remove excess fluid from tissues and helps absorb fat from around the intestine.

The lymphatic system transports lymph, a clear fluid, containing infection-fighting white blood cells, via a network of lymphatic vessels and organs.

Lymph is derived from fluid surrounding the cells of the body, containing waste products from cellular processes. It also comes from excess fluid (plasma) from the arterial blood circulatory system, after it has deposited nutrients and oxygen to the cells. Most of the plasma (approx 85%), returns to the venous blood circulation for transport back to the lungs for oxygenation. The remaining 15% (which may be up to 3L per day) becomes lymph.

Here are some common symptoms of a congested lymphatic system:

  1. Breast swelling or soreness with each cycle
  2. Dry skin
  3. Mild rash or acne
  4. Hypersensitivity
  5. Rings get tight on fingers
  6. Soreness and/or stiffness in the morning
  7. Feeling tired
  8. Bloating / Holding on to water
  9. Itchy skin
  10. Weight gain and extra belly fat
  11. Swollen glands
  12. Low immunity
  13. Brain fog
  14. Mild headaches
  15. Elevated histamine and irritation due to common environmental allergens
  16. Occasional constipation, diarrhea, and/or mucus in the stool

Book in for your free consultation and tailored Reflexology treatment with Alex today >

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *